Saturday, February 1, 2014

Looking Back at January

Happy February!  Hard to believe we are already in the second month of 2014.  Given the arctic-like temperatures we've been experiencing here lately, January was a great month to spend curled up with a good book.  Here's what I read (click on the title, where applicable, to read my review):

  •  Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Contemporary Thriller);
  •  The Tenth Saint by D.J. Niko (Contemporary Thriller with a historical element);
  • Brock's Agent by Tom Taylor (Historical Fiction - review to come);
  • Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen (Contemporary Fiction/Magical Realism); and
  • The Winter Siege by D.W. Bradbridge (Historical Fiction - review to come).

I also took part in my first ever Bloggiesta event in January.  Even though I started off small,  I did successfully manage to accomplish both of my goals.  Click here to read my wrap-up post.   This is an event I definitely plan to take part in again in future. 

How was your January? 


post signature

7 comments:

  1. What a great result! It looks like January was overall a successful month. What did you think of Night Film, did you like it? I'm getting curious about Sarah Addison Allen, generally I enjoy magical realism quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy Sarah Addison Allen's novels. They aren't complex, but generally include sympathetic characters and situations the reader will care about. Reading her books makes me happy.

      Delete
  2. January was a great month for reading, but a cold, dreary month for much else. I bought The Iron King (because I thought I would like it AND it sounds like something my son would love) so I'm hoping to get to that one soon. I look forward to your February reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope both you and your son enjoy it! I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to be on maternity leave with these freezing temperatures. Looks like you had a great reading month. I really didn't enjoy Night Film. I'm going to go check out your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of those! Great list for January! Congrats on making your goals

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of those but I've heard lots of Night Film. I hope you liked it!

    Glad you enjoyed Bloggiesta. I couldn't participate in Jan, but I have in the past and it's always a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete